Wednesday 4 February 2009

Wellness Wednesday: Benefits of Lycopene

I just love tomatoes and tomato paste in a majority of the things I cook at home. I use it from my stir fry dishes to the more complicated pastas. I also love drinking it in its juice form - though that may be due to my acquired taste- and more importantly eating it fresh. What I didnt really understand before was that I was eating something that is really healthy and that it was the riches source of a powerful antioxidant known as Lycopene.



Lycopene is supposedly abundant with the red fruits and is claimed to be helpful when it comes the heart. It was only then that I started doing some research into the topic and now would like to share with all of you what I have learned and I am sure that you would just as amazed as I was to discover how a simple household everyday recipe can be a very potent giver of health to those that consume it.



Here are the things that I have found out that Lycopene is helping provide for us:

  • Breast cancer
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Gingivitis
  • High blood pressure
  • Increasing HDL (good) cholesterol
  • Male infertility (increasing sperm counts)
  • Ovarian cancer
  • Pre-eclampsia (pregnancy-associated high blood pressure)
  • Reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol
Now am sure that after reading that you would like to have a run down list of what type of food has this quality so for your convenience here are some of the major sources of Lycopene to help get you started on a lycopene diet:

  • Tomatoes and tomato products (sauces, ketchup, etc.)
  • Apricots
  • Pink grapefruits
  • Pink guavas
  • Watermelons



Tomato PSA from Thor Melsted on Vimeo.



With all that being said I do hope that you have found this information useful. Till the next time. xoxo

Photobucket

Free Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment