Monday 11 June 2012

Macbook Air 11" Intel Core i5 Real Life Review

I am not a newbie to the Mac Software and Units, as one of my old units was the 13 inch macbook pro 2006 edition. I was fairly happy with the performance of Mac OS Prior to the OS X, and have found that they are quite more responsive and hardly any lag with any of the programs installed. Formerly being a Windows user one, I had initially been fearful of that difficulty of the transition from Windows to Mac. Surprisingly, upon initial usage, I found that the Mac OS was quite user friendly and a lot of the functionalities in windows were still present with better fluidity.

With all that being said, with my old macbook retiring out, I had made the option to purchase the new MacBook Air 11" Intel Core i5 unit. Powered by the new Mac OSX (will be upgrading to the new Mountain Lion OS later in the year), I have to say am quite impressed. I haven't used any unit prior to this one that has worked so hard and so smoothly considering the size of the unit. On first glance, especially in the leatherette sleeve I have got for it, one would think of it as a piece of document and not a computer. With 128 GB of storage space and 4 gb of ddr3 ram inside I have had no trouble with storing documents nor playing taxing 3d games. The MacBook Air also charges up pretty quickly and in between charges lasts me roughly about 5 - 7 hours depending on type of usage, generally I hit the 5 hour ranges due to heavy usage such as youtube video, facebook chatting, blogging, data searching, etc... The power cable also is easy to carry as it is much smaller that the old bulky charger I used to have with my MacBook 13".

Because of the new OSX installed in this mini power house, gestures on the track pad was easy to learn and more intuitive to navigate. It basically follows that gesture patterns of what one would be using with the IOS 5 of the iPad and iPhone. This will be even more evident once we have migrated our system over to that of the Mountain Lion.

Over the period of 5 months of usage now, the overall usage and usability has been above par with any of the units I have handled and can even rival that of his bigger brothers (MacBook Air 13" and the MacBook Pro), I can say with confidence that this is a worthy machine for online workers such as myself especially those that are constantly on the go. Easy to carry just like it's touch screen Apple Brothers and yet with the power house of any desktop, I couldn't have asked for a better business travel companion.

Does it come cheap? I guess that is where one would have to find debate, but current market values of this unit is becoming quite competitive against its windows competitors, none of them have come close though to the technological ingenuity that this unit has provided. If you have a choice and want a unit that you know won't get easily replaced after a year, I'd say go for the MacBook Air. As to what size is I guess a personal preference.

For more info on the MacBook Air Line simply go to the Apple Store webpage or follow this link: MacBook Air

Till the next time...

****Updates on the Macbook Air - The new and updated Macbook Air Products including that of the its brothers the Macbook Pro have had an upgrade in terms of hardware.  It has now gotten faster in terms of computing and processor speed and the allowed ram has been increase to double of what it had before.  Cool thing is Price hasn't changed - if you have more budget to spend, you can even get your Macbook Air to go from 1.7Ghz to 2.0 Ghz and even have an increased SD Storage which was previously only at 128 GB. Everything else remains the same. Don't fret though if you were able to buy the previous version which carries the 1.6Ghz Core i5 Version as that is still quite awesome, heck am one of those people too. Just waiting to see if Apple will allow Turbo Boost with the older units as Intel has it already built in.

Check out the new specs below:

Till the next update.



No comments:

Post a Comment