Wednesday 20 January 2010

Wellness Wed: Flu Prevention

Today's wellness article is something I should have written about before I got hit by the flu last week. Had I done so, I may have been able to prevent myself from contracting it and would have hopefully saved me from the inconveniences of having to buy tissue paper for my runny nose and cough medication for a cough that sounds like I just shot a .45. I have also noticed that this month of January a lot of my colleagues have also started showing since of the cold. With that I guess we will see another season of flu spreading its ugly head around the block affecting unsuspecting victims along the way.

So to help prevent that from happening here are some things that you can do to help prevent it from spreading even further.

Take these everyday steps to protect your health:

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.

Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

Stay home if you are sick until at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever (100°F or 37.8°C) or signs of a fever (without the use of a fever-reducing medicine, such as Tylenol®). Read detailed information about how long to stay away from others.

Follow public health advice regarding school closures, avoiding crowds and other social distancing measures.

And to help you even more I found this rather informative video from our trusty online video source Youtube that talks and teaches us more about the flu (including those nasty and scary ones that we have heard spread in the news):

Here is what the CDC Recommends



One thing that I have learned along the way is that washing of hands regularly is one of the best and most recommended practices in preventing most kinds of infectious diseases which includes the flu. I do hope that this article has helped you out and please spread the word on how to prevent the flu rather than spreading the virus. :)
Bookmark and Share
Photobucket
Free Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment